Factor[e] can provide equity seed investments in combination with individualized, one-on-one company engagement and support to select energy/ag businesses world-wide.
Investment and Engagement Support
The successful portfolio companies are generally very early stage, but will occasionally be slightly more mature companies seeking to pivot from developed markets into developing ones.
Factor[e] in particular seeks technology-based companies that align with their thesis around loss reduction and waste minimization as well as sustainable intensification.
Loss Reduction and Waste Minimization
- Physical plants that serve as integrated platforms that link farmers to high-value markets
- Efficient, traceable logistics for ag value chains, formalizing and squeezing waste out of informal markets
- Hyper low-cost farmgate food loss reduction technologies
- Financial innovation to extend access to cold storage financing, especially refrigeration-as-a-service
- Modes of input finance and delivery at dramatically lower transaction costs, built for scale
- Optimized input design for lower cost, higher returns, and reduced environmental impact
- Agricultural mechanization within reach—financially and physically—through mechanization-as-a-service
- Efficient production of nutrient-rich organic fertilizers
Factor[e] is a low-volume, high-touch investor that supports a small number of early-stage energy-related companies that have both the potential to positively affect millions of people and a path to financial sustainability. In addition to making equity investments, Factor[e] provides a wide range of technical and business resources (e.g. engineering design, financial planning, business model development and validation) and works with ventures to close multiple rounds of funding.
The Factor[e] team has deep experience in both technology and venture creation, and proactively seeks out companies offering solutions applicable to developing economies around the world, especially Sub-Saharan Africa, India, South East Asia and Latin America.