A clean cook stove for developing regions, new energy-storage technologies, solar irrigation systems and a financing mechanism for off-grid solar are among the 10 innovations recognized as New Energy Pioneers this year.
Bloomberg New Energy Finance chose the winners from a record 170 applicants, which were judged on innovation in both technology and business model, momentum and their potential for global scale.
The winners will be honored Monday at the New Energy Finance Future of Energy Summit in New York:
- Envirofit of the U.S., which developed smart, clean cook stoves to reduce fuel use, smoke and toxic emissions
- EV-Box of the Netherlands, which provides electric vehicle equipment and has installed more than 50,000 charging points
- Fluidic Energy of the U.S., which provides zinc-air energy storage systems that last for several days
- Romo Wind of Switzerland, which measures wind speeds with its ultrasonic iSpin technology
- Skeleton Technologies of Estonia, which manufactures ultracapacitors using curved graphene
- SunCulture of Kenya, which designs, manufactures, finances and distributes solar-powered irrigation solutions
- SunFunder of the U.S., which aggregates diversified portfolios of off-grid solar to help arrange debt capital
- Sunna Design of France, which has installed off-grid solar public lighting systems in 40 countries, mainly in Africa
- Thermondo of Germany, which installs managed-energy systems for homeowners
- We Care Solar of the U.S., which provides “Solar Suitcases” to power remote health centers